Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Dave reviews Sweeney Todd


OK, so I was fortunate enough to get free movie passes to the sneak preview of Tim Burton's new movie, Sweeney Todd. Make that a musical not a movie. I assumed there would be your typical Tim Burton morbid but cute sense of humor and even a few silly songs like the ones that were in Nightmare Before Christmas and Corpse Bride. Well, boy was I ever wrong. It was like going to sent a Gothic version of RENT. The acting was sub par and even though there was a creepy story involved, I just couldn't get past the cheesy one liners and the inexcusable singing about everything you could ever imagine. As dark as the majority of his movies are, some of this music was just the opposite. It was quite happy and some of it was almost carnival like. I am not sure if ole Tim Burton has lost his creativity or if I am just over his style. I still think that nightmare before Christmas is pretty original and very cool. It is like Metallica to me. When I listen to Master of Puppets today I still love it, but if I hear something off reload or St. Anger I am disgusted. I guess movie directors have that in common with music performers.

Man, I am glad that I didn't pay $9.00 for this one. It was 75% singing and 25% dialogue with dark Tim Burton-Esque color schemes.

I give it a 1 bitch slap out of 5.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bradford, we are back in the states for the Holidays!

And I really don't wish to see this movie now after reading this.
xMikeyx

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha this is a good review. I doubt I will see this movie. Singing doesn't do it.

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home