Thursday, October 05, 2006

Sushi in the 615


Inert correspondent Nicky V this week is doing a write up on sushi here in Nashville.
Since I'm vegan and the majority of the town isn't, its fare to give a non vegan review of dining

Rated on a 1-10 scale

1-4 being bad to disgusting, 5-7 being average, 8-10 being good to great

Ben Kay Lions head, White Bridge Road (I am sorry I can not spell their new name, which sounds like sonny bono)
9.7

The best sushi place in this town and has been for years. I have said this many times, and I hope to not appear that I am bragging, I have eaten sushi in Tokyo and this is always comparable. Try the Tuna Sashimi, crunchy shrimp rolls also the best Spider Rolls I have ever eaten. The food outweighs any concerns about decor or atmosphere .



Ru Sans- The Gulch 11th Ave South-9.3

Great variety, Hip environment, The real meaning of fusion sushi. Odd but good delights that one can not get at any other restaurant in town. Only detractors are the extremely loud atmosphere and the limited size of the restraint. Go earlier in the evening for a non rock concert style meal. Try the grilled teriyaki rice balls, Grilled garlic maki, and the Tuna Martini.

Sushi Yobi- Demonbruen Street-
9.0

Pretty Good variety- Nice mix of higher priced specialty fusion rolls, not very creative on the regular rolls, Clean but small shotgun style place in the heart of the new meat market that is Music Row. Try the Playboy roll.



Bodeli Sushi- Cool Springs
8.1

Despite the almost Italian name, this is a fun place to eat. It is a bit out of the way, but can be worth the drive if you are in for a different sushi experience. You have two choices, you can pick sometimes mystery sushi off of the roving conveyer belt that goes around the bar, or you can order directly from the chef. Pretty good, but strangely quiet environment located in a new strip mall. I hear the tempura appetizers are quite good with a slight orange tinge to the batter.

Ichiban- 2nd Avenue North
7.7

An upper end average place in the heart of downtown. Their sushi is perfectly average. It is good but not great. Atmosphere is a bit cramped but reminds me of an actual Japanese restaurant. It was hot last time I dined there.



Kens Sushi- Division Street
7.0

A cheaper sushi joint that was the cool sushi place a few years back. It is ok if you feel like you need to scratch a sushi itch, but is no place for a real meal. The Tobasco brand hot sauce should not be used to make a roll a spicy roll. Also a lack luster, almost school room style environment.



Shintomi Japanese Restaurant- Bandywood (Green Hills)-
7.0

Once again an average sushi restaurant. Not bad, but not great. Good for a lunch if you are in the area but not worth a separate trip. The dcor is generic for a Japanese restaurant. Nothing remarkable to comment on. Good for a generic sushi lunch.



Koto Sushi Bar- 7th avenue North
5.3

Average Sushi, very little variety, terrible location and atmosphere. The food is not bad. Nothing jumped out as particularly better than average. The place is in desperate need of a complete overhaul. The faade is dirty, broken down and unnoticeable. The inside is like a converted dive bar. Apparently this place stays in business as a lunch stop for the downtown work force, and I could see myself going there if I was part of that workforce as a chance to do something off beat for lunch but other than that, it is not worth your time.



Samurai- Eliston Place-
4.8

When I went to Samurai, we were the only people in the place, they had just opened for dinner and the employees had been actually sleeping on the floor between lunch and dinner and had left their sheets that they were laying on down when we came in. The worst part is they actually had no air conditioning in the middle of the summer. I am sorry, I think I would not open my restaurant up until I had air conditioning for my customers. The food was not horrible but was sub par and not worthy of my hard earned dollars.



Osaka- West End Avenue-
3.0

I rarely have a bad experience at a sushi place, but this was one of them. Some people might look down on me for this, but I want my sushi chefs to be of Asian decent. Mexican sushi chefs are unacceptable. When I went, the service was poor, they had not secured their liquor or beer license (Which should be essential in Japanese dining) and the rolls were mealy and misshapen.



Tenno- West End Avenue-
1.0

One of the worst dining experiences of my life. The place had a sign that it was under new management, when I was done, I was wanting the old management back. 1st the pace smelled like a gym locker room. The service was sub par and the rolls were some of the worst things I have put in my mouth. They were somehow soggy and gelatinous. It was so bad, that I could only eat one and a half rolls. When the manager asked me if I didnt like it, I responded That it was not very good. She didnt seem to care. That is the last time I go there.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you didn't have all the hibatchi grill places that pawn off Starkist sushi. I agree on a few of these. Never been to Ben Kay. You should try Sam's sometime. Good and ample sushi.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great!
We are new to town and found this blog via Untitled's myspace.
Now I know what to check out and what not to.
Thanks
Mika and Candice
xoxox

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya see now, Samuri is my favorite. I suppose if I had your first impression I might think differently but I think it has some really good fresh options.

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that Samuri is a lot o f people's favorite place, but really to have your employees sleeping on the floor as I walk in is disgusting and unexceptable. If it were you, you would NEVER go back. I am going to give it another chance one day, but they do not sell Sake (becasue they do not have a license) I am sorry, but if you drink, Sake is an essential part of the sushi experience. As I know ir, VERY few people in Japan do not mix the two. So it is a sad detractor that they won't spring for their liquor. license. For the non-drinking crowd, I could find this a plus, otherwise as a traditional shushi consumer, I find it cheap and a lame excuse to break such a time homored tradition.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home